One of the common conditions found in 10-15 percent of the US adult population is Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). IBS includes a group of symptoms such as abdominal pain and changes in the pattern of bowel movements. Once diagnosed, with medications or home remedies or both, the condition can be managed quite well.
Types of IBS
IBS can be classified into the following types.
- IBS-D where diarrhea is common and happens quite often
- IBS-C where constipation is common and happens to all suffering from it
- IBS-M where both diarrhea and constipation are common
- IBS-U where neither diarrhea nor constipation takes place often
Treatments for IBS, CIC, and IBS-D vary depending on the type. You can do a bit of research and apply the medications, and home remedies to these problems or without any further delay, go to a doctor.
The doctor might ask you to go through several health checkups and tests such as below:
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy: Your doctor will check the lower part of the colon.
- Colonoscopy: Doctor uses a small flexible tube to measure the whole length of the tube.
- X-Ray or CT-Scan: This helps in producing a clear picture of your abdomen or pelvis, thereby clearing out the causes of IBS in you.
You can relieve the mild symptoms by reducing your stress and by changing your diet with lifestyle. Drink plenty of water, avoid fast food, eat high-fiber foods, and exercise regularly.
Your doctor might recommend you some medications if your symptoms are very severe. Treatments for IBS, CIC, and IBS-D can be cured using various medicines such as:
- Fiber supplements
- Anti-diarrheal medications
- Anticholinergic medications
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- SSRI antidepressants
- Pain medicines
IBS treatment continues to offer relief with several new treatment procedures being followed, thanks to modern research. Researchers in different universities around the world are looking forward to coming up with faster and permanent relief options. Treatments for IBS, CIC, and IBS-D are also about to follow a revision.
Patients suffering from the disease can also include several alternatives to their treatments such as hypnosis, mindful training, acupuncture, peppermint, probiotics, stress reduction, and much more. Thus, being aware of the symptoms and taking due care to treat them offers the required relief to IBS patients.