A therapeutic or a medical mattress plays a crucial role in providing support and comfort to a patient who is still recovering. Picking the most suitable mattress is essential to ensure that the patient does not feel any discomfort and that the patient can be easily transferred. While looking for the best medical mattress to buy for a patient, one can come across a lot of options. Medical mattresses can be made from coils, innerspring, air, foam, or gel. Certain manufacturers design medical mattresses only for specific ailments. For example, bariatric mattresses are designed to give utmost comfort to bariatric patients.
The various categories of medical mattresses in the market include innerspring mattresses, low air loss mattresses, foam mattresses, alternating pressure mattresses, and lateral rotation mattresses. Despite the different categories, the best medical mattresses must have two common factors, they should be easy to clean and they should be able to provide relief from pressure points. Here are some of the most popular and the best rated mattresses to buy for medical purposes:
- Drive and Mason Medical’s Institutional Foam Mattress– One of the most functional and the best medical mattresses to buy, Drive and Mason Medical’s Institutional Foam Mattress is made with a solid foam core tightly sealed with a vinyl cover. The vinyl cover is resistant to water and flames. Made specially for institutions such as hospitals and nursing homes, this mattress is a zipper-less mattress. So there is no way to disassemble it. This ensures safety as it avoids injury that may be caused while disassembling and assembling the mattress. The mattress is suitable for use for patients under home care as well. The weight capacity of the mattress is 250 lbs. The cost of this mattress is approximately $470.
- Medline Advantage Therapeutic Homecare Foam Mattress– If you are looking for the best medical mattress to buy for preventing bed sores and pressure ulcers, this mattress is a good option. The mattress evenly distributes body weight. The core is made of high-density foam and the cover is made from nylon. The nylon cover ensures comfort and prevents friction against the mattress. The mattress is latex free; therefore, it is suitable for people who are allergic to latex. This mattress is reversible so its life can be extended by flipping it over. The weight capacity of this mattress is 300 lbs, and it costs around $150.
- Span America’s Geo-Mattress® UltraMax™– Made of foam, these medical mattresses have been built with a unique pressure redistribution comprising 800 ventilated cells. The cells provide protection against bed sores and pressure ulcers. The cells also provide temperature control to prevent heat and moisture from building up. The mattresses have an additional out cover which is resistant to fluids and tears. These mattresses are antimicrobial and latex-free. With handles on one side, a patient transfer is made easy with these mattresses. The weight capacity of these mattresses is 500 lbs. They are available in at least nine different variants, the pricing for these mattresses ranges from about $700 to $900.
- Invacare Bariatric Foam Mattresses– These are one of the best-rated mattresses to buy for bariatric patients. Their core is made of high-quality and high-density foam, which provides firm and comfortable support and is also extremely durable. The mattresses have a thick vinyl cover which is water- and flame-proof. They are also latex-free and antibacterial. Thus, they are safe for use for patients who have a high sensitivity to various allergens. The weight capacity of these mattresses is 750 lbs. Available in four variants, the pricing for these mattresses ranges from approximately $400 to $800. It is recommended to use these mattresses with the bariatric bed frame for enhanced comfort.
- Graham-Field Gold Care Foam Mattresses– If looking for a long-term care and the best medical mattresses to buy, these mattresses would be a good choice. They have four sperate support zones that reduce stress from four critical pressure points of the body. Their cover is made of a breathable material which is soft and durable. The cover is resistant to fluids and flame. It is antibacterial, antifungal, and nonallergic. The mattresses are latex free and quite suitable for those allergic to latex. They come with an optional sloped heel zone that works toward reducing pressure on the heels. Available in four different variants, the pricing for these mattresses ranges from around $280 to $330.
- Invacare microAIR Lateral Rotation Mattress– One of the best medical mattresses to buy in the market, Invacare’s microAIR is made of air bladders that measure 10 inches. These air bladders are connected to a blower which alternates the air pressure of the mattress. The mattress is also rotational. Using a control panel, the rotation angles and pressure of the mattress can be customized. The cover is made of a quilted material that is resistant to moisture and can be easily cleaned. The maximum weight capacity of this mattress is 350 lbs. Due to its rotational and air pressure technology, the price of this mattress is steep compared to other medical mattresses listed here. The price of this mattress is around $5000.