Our stomach has a valve at its entrance known as the lower esophageal sphincter (LES). Under normal circumstances, the LES closes as soon as the food passes through it. If it doesn’t close on time or it opens too often, the acid produced by our stomach starts moving up into our esophagus. The resultant symptom of this happening includes a burning chest pain called heartburn.
If you experience this more than twice a week, this indicates that you have acid reflux disease, also known as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). There are a number of medications available to treat this condition but how to decide which one is right for you. Here we have compiled a list of five acid reflux medication options that you can count on for easing your acid reflux symptoms:
- Oral suspension medicines: Medications like Pepto Bismol, Carafate, and the best heartburn relief blue bottle not only just treat heartburn but indigestion, but also nausea, diarrhea, and ulcers in the throat, stomach, and intestines. They are ideal for those who experience symptoms less than a couple of times a week or month.
- H-2-receptor blockers: Available previously only with a prescription, H-2-receptor blockers are now sold over-the-counter in the form of the best heartburn relief blue bottle and more. They help in shutting off acid production in the stomach and are effective for mild reflux. In addition, they are relatively inexpensive and offer a longer lasting relief as compared to antacids.
- Antacids: Popular over-the-counter medications like the best heartburn relief blue bottle help neutralize stomach acid in those suffering from mild acid reflux. Some antacids come in liquid form that helps coat the esophagus lining and reduce the amount of acid in the stomach.
- Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs): These medications include Prilosec, Prevacid, and Nexium, which block acid production. They also aid in healing damaged esophageal tissue, which makes them ideal options for people who are having more frequent or severe heartburn symptoms.
- Anti-gas, Anti-flatulence Medications: For patients who experience bloating and pressure in the stomach along with heartburn, there are some over-the-counter products available in the market. For example, Phazyme, Gas-X, and Beano that can help relieve pressure, bloating, and gas in the digestive tract.